I am a writer and photographer currently living on the Emerald Coast of Florida. I have a Master’s Degree in Environmental Management from the Duke Nicholas School of the Environment, where I specialized in Ecosystem Science and Conservation. I am also a National Geographic Young Explorer, completing four trips to the Maine North Woods in each of the four seasons, Fall 2015-Summer 2016.
I am the Communications and Marketing Coordinator for the Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance, as well as a regular contributor to the Duke Nicholas School, the Maine Sportsman, Bangor Daily News, Nat Geo Voices, Voices for Biodiversity, and 10000 Birds; I also had a blog series dedicated to my experiences as a Nat Geo Young Explorer for the Natural Resources Council of Maine. In the past I have written for The Conservation Fund, the Triangle Land Conservancy, and Sarah P. Duke Gardens. My in-print work has been published in the BirdWatching Daily, the Florida Sportsman, Coastal Angler, and Guy Harvey Magazine. Finally, I am the co-founder of creative consultancy Terra Communications, LLC, founder and managing editor of the travel website One World, Two Feet, as well as the managing editor for the award-winning online magazine Voices for Biodiversity.
To contact me, please feel free to email email@example.com or fill out the contact form below.
The Maine Sportsman
Monthly bird articles on migratory and resident species
Article on nesting shorebirds, August 2016
Article on birding in the Maine North Woods, upcoming
Article on Florida’s Alligator Gar, February 2017
Guy Harvey Magazine
Photos of Grand Bay, Mississippi featured in the Winter 2017 issue
Spread on Maine North Woods adventures in Fall 2016 newsletter
Upcoming story on the Florida National Scenic Trail scheduled for 2018
Conservation story in the July 2017 magazine, Big Bend edition.
Blogs and Online Publications
National Geographic Adventure
Article highlighting expeditions to the Maine North Woods.
National Geographic Voices
Articles highlighting biodiversity around the world.
- URL for example piece: http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2016/07/12/banding-floridas-snowy-plovers/
National Park Traveler
Articles from National Parks, here in the United States and around the world.
- URL for example piece: http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2016/08/promising-future-katahdin-woods-and-waters-national-monument
Natural Resources Council of Maine
Blog series highlighting excursions to the Maine North Woods on a National Geographic Young Explorer Grant.
- URL for all blogs for NRCM : http://www.nrcm.org/category/blogs-of-nrcm/quest-for-protection/
- URL for example piece : http://www.nrcm.org/blogs-of-nrcm/quest-for-protection/fall-east-branch-of-the-penobscot-river-day-2-part-1/
Voices for Biodiversity
Articles and photo galleries on biodiversity around the world.
- URL for example piece: http://voicesforbiodiversity.org/galleries/photos/snowy-plovers-and-citizen-science-along-the-florid
Bangor Daily News
Recounting birding adventures from around the state of Maine.
- URL for all blogs for Bangor Daily News: http://zambello.bangordailynews.com/
- URL for example piece: http://zambello.bangordailynews.com/2016/04/23/home/spring-warblers-in-the-rangeley-lakes-region/
Internationally recognized bird site devoted to birding, nature, and conservation. Weekly blogs highlight birding adventures as well as state and national birds.
- URL for all blogs for 10000 Birds : http://10000birds.com/author/erika
- URL for example piece : http://10000birds.com/life-birds-at-point-reyes-national-seashore.htm
Duke Nicholas School of the Environment
Duke program publishing blogs from students, faculty and alumni. Blogs focused on communicating conservation, environmental issues, and outdoor trips.
- URL for all blogs for Duke : http://blogs.nicholas.duke.edu/author/eaz7duke-edu/
- URL for example piece: http://blogs.nicholas.duke.edu/outdoordevil/aruba-three-invasive-species-that-turned-my-black-and-white-to-gray/
Triangle Land Conservancy
Blogs for local land trust covering events, preserves, and green living.
- URL for all blogs for TLC : https://www.triangleland.org/author/erika-zambelloduke-edu
- URL for example piece : https://www.triangleland.org/blog/building-trails-at-the-new-horton-grove-nature-preserve
Sarah P. Duke Gardens
Award-winning botanical garden located on Duke’s Campus in Durham, NC. Blogs focus on events, sightings in the garden, and ecological phenomena; example below.
The Emerald Coast
CVB website for Okaloosa County. Blogs focus on natural areas and ecotourism.
Patterns of Bird-window Collisions Inform Mitigation on a University Campus
Trends in Measuring Biodiversity and Ecosystem function in Mitigation Programs
Forthcoming for the Duke Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions