I am a writer and photographer currently living on the Emerald Coast of Florida. I have a Master’s Degree in Environmental Management from the Duke Nicholas School of the Environment, where I specialized in Ecosystem Science and Conservation. I am also a National Geographic Young Explorer, completing four trips to the Maine North Woods in each of the four seasons, Fall 2015-Summer 2016.
I am the Communications and Marketing Coordinator for the Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance, as well as a regular contributor to online and in print publications. Passionate about environmental communications, Ryan Huang and I co-founded the creative consultancy Terra Communications, LLC, and I founded and edit the travel website One World, Two Feet.
To contact me, please feel free to email email@example.com or fill out the contact form at the bottom of the page.
The Maine Sportsman
Monthly bird articles on migratory and resident species
Article on nesting shorebirds, August 2016
Article on birding in the Maine North Woods, August 2017
Article on Florida’s Alligator Gar, February 2017
Feature piece on flyfishing the Yellow River, Spring 2018
Artificial reef piece based on Northwest Florida Initiatives, Spring 2018
Chipola River study, upcoming
Guy Harvey Magazine
Photos of Grand Bay, Mississippi featured in the Winter 2017 issue
Spread on Maine North Woods adventures in Fall 2016 newsletter
Upcoming story on the Florida National Scenic Trail scheduled for 2018
Monthly series on conservation and restoration stories from Northwest Florida
- URL for example piece (28-29): https://issuu.com/coastalanglermagazine/docs/pensacola_4233ba3630451b
Blogs and Online Publications
National Geographic Adventure
Article highlighting expeditions to the Maine North Woods.
National Geographic Voices
Articles highlighting biodiversity around the world.
- URL for example piece: http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2016/07/12/banding-floridas-snowy-plovers/
National Park Traveler
Articles from National Parks, here in the United States and around the world.
- URL for example piece: http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2016/08/promising-future-katahdin-woods-and-waters-national-monument
Natural Resources Council of Maine
Blog series highlighting excursions to the Maine North Woods on a National Geographic Young Explorer Grant.
- URL for all blogs for NRCM : http://www.nrcm.org/category/blogs-of-nrcm/quest-for-protection/
- URL for example piece : http://www.nrcm.org/blogs-of-nrcm/quest-for-protection/fall-east-branch-of-the-penobscot-river-day-2-part-1/
Voices for Biodiversity
Articles and photo galleries on biodiversity around the world.
- URL for example piece: http://voicesforbiodiversity.org/galleries/photos/snowy-plovers-and-citizen-science-along-the-florid
Bangor Daily News
Recounting birding adventures from around the state of Maine.
- URL for all blogs for Bangor Daily News: http://zambello.bangordailynews.com/
- URL for example piece: http://zambello.bangordailynews.com/2016/04/23/home/spring-warblers-in-the-rangeley-lakes-region/
Internationally recognized bird site devoted to birding, nature, and conservation. Weekly blogs highlight birding adventures as well as state and national birds.
- URL for all blogs for 10000 Birds : http://10000birds.com/author/erika
- URL for example piece : http://10000birds.com/life-birds-at-point-reyes-national-seashore.htm
Duke Nicholas School of the Environment
Duke program publishing blogs from students, faculty and alumni. Blogs focused on communicating conservation, environmental issues, and outdoor trips.
- URL for all blogs for Duke : http://blogs.nicholas.duke.edu/author/eaz7duke-edu/
- URL for example piece: http://blogs.nicholas.duke.edu/outdoordevil/aruba-three-invasive-species-that-turned-my-black-and-white-to-gray/
Triangle Land Conservancy
Blogs for local land trust covering events, preserves, and green living.
- URL for all blogs for TLC : https://www.triangleland.org/author/erika-zambelloduke-edu
- URL for example piece : https://www.triangleland.org/blog/building-trails-at-the-new-horton-grove-nature-preserve
Sarah P. Duke Gardens
Award-winning botanical garden located on Duke’s Campus in Durham, NC. Blogs focus on events, sightings in the garden, and ecological phenomena; example below.
The Emerald Coast
CVB website for Okaloosa County. Blogs focus on natural areas and ecotourism.
Patterns of Bird-window Collisions Inform Mitigation on a University Campus
Trends in Measuring Biodiversity and Ecosystem function in Mitigation Programs
Upcoming for the Duke Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions